Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Setting goals

Ok, my goal is to have a healthier year compared to last year so I am taking stock of different aspects that I can improve on for the new year.  So far I have broken that down into three categories:  physical health, mental health, and fiscal health. 

Under physical health is going to the dentist and the eye doctor.  Those should be relatively easy to do, I have insurance and a nurse mentioned a dentist just the other day that she uses so I will ask her for his contact information.  Glasses I need and that could be expensive but again I have insurance and I set up a "flex spending account" that puts aside 500 dollars for medical use only.  I am hopeful that I will be able to tap into that for any extra costs. 

Under mental health I have come to the conclusion that I need to take time out of each week for "me" time and that I need to set up ground rules  with my husband.  For the "me" time I have told my husband that Wednesday mornings are myb relaxing time.  I will not take care of my to do list, set up appointments for him, or do anything I don't want to do.  I will instead spend that time getting my hair cut, painting my nails, and using the gift card I have for the day spa.  The setting of ground rules is trickier.  I want to write out an actual contract that outlines what is not allowed to happen and the consequences of such behaviors.  This would include my husband taking his medication as prescribed, not using other substances to escape life, no hitting, and that he must take care of himself and some more of the housework. 

Fiscal health is a tough one.  I stress about money all the time so I am focussing on ways to alleviate this issue. I spent time yesterday setting up a budget and planned all of Januarys bills and how to pay for them. I reviewed it with my husband and he actually seemed to understand that we will only have a certain amount of money avaliable for bills, groceries, etc.

Now the hard part; implementing these actions!

Good luck to everyone who is reading this.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're really going to have a great year. These goals are all feasible and you're well on your way to achieving them! Congrats and I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you are going to have a good year :) GL with your goals hon, I am sure you will achieve them all :)

    Take good care of you (oh and happy new year) ^^

    ReplyDelete